July 15, 2018

Open your eyes, please.

I was a Catholic for a good 23 years of my life. Went to church every Sunday, completed the necessary sacraments. Let me tell you that not a single thing that I went through, heard & observed ever involved efforts to sabotage Muslims or other believers.

All the sermons, prayers that were uttered were underlined with values of love & compassion. “Respect thy neighbours. Be kind to everyone. May God grant wisdom upon our leaders. May God protect our country. God have mercy on us. Etc.”

I was living in Sabah then. Pretty shielded from the prejudices on non-Muslims that I’ve seen here. So when I moved to KL, I was quite baffled at the level of misunderstanding & prejudices that Muslims have on Christians. I mean, we didn’t sit down in Sunday schools and discuss..

About how to convert a fellow Muslim, or crafting devious plans on how to do so. I don’t remember a single time where there was even a hint of such intention. We were always taught about how to live the Christian values in whatever we do; compassion, kind, respect, honesty, etc.

To be fair, my parents have their own misconception towards Islam.

“It’d break my heart to pieces if your husband marries a 2nd, 3rd wife.”

“They’ll cut off your relationship with your Christian families.”

Among the things they said to me when I wanted to become a Muslim.

Can’t blame them aight. I guess what I’m trying to say is, remove these prejudices towards non-Muslims, stop wasting effort to fuel them. We (Muslims in Msia)have a lot more fundamental things to sort out; child marriage, corruption, yes kawin 4 issue too.

No comments:

Post a Comment